Sunday, November 27, 2011

Python Storm Lord


"I was commissioned this past July for a custom Samurai Stormtrooper. The figure features a laser cut head decoration (which is the first time I’ve incorporated a laser cut piece into a 12″ figure). The Samurai Helmet and Armors are hand painted casted resin pieces. This piece also features an original flag design and the python fabric.

The design is partially based on my previous “Force Bender” figures and also partially based on a Cosplay costume from SDCC. There’s a regular yearly SDCC attendee that’s been getting more and more recognition/attention from his elaborate Samurai Stormtrooper costume (Just google it and check out the wealth of photos).

I too had been thinking about making a Samurai Stormtrooper (it seemed like the next logical step after my previous custom figures). But with all the other projects I was working on, the samurai just kept drifting to the back burner. That is, until I was contacted by a serious collector who had just recently acquired one of my Force Bender pieces.

On a side note: Around the time I was commissioned for this piece, I was coincidentally e-mailed by a handful of other people about creating a similar piece. I assume that because of the timing a lot of folks saw the impressive Samurai Stormtrooper cosplayer not only in person, but on a host of blogs as well.

Many thanks to my wife and collaborator, Mariangela Tan, who designed the Head Decoration in Adobe Illustrator (based on my simple sketch). Also thanks to Brian Gee, who commissioned the piece and came up with the flag design. Without his enthusiasm for the figure and knowledge of ancient armors, it would’ve taken me a lot longer to get around to making a badass Samurai."

by Justin Alan Volpe.

No comments:

Post a Comment